We at David H Myers Opticians understand that having an eye test can be a daunting experience for someone with a learning disability and their carers. We try wherever possible to make it a smooth experience for all involved.
As part of our enhanced services, we offer a personalised service for patients with learning disabilities. This includes:
• Visiting the practice for an optional ‘’tour’’ before having the eye exam so the practice and equipment seem more familiar
• We give information before the eye exam and ‘’what to expect’’ when you go for your eye test.
• We give an easy to understand questionnaire to fill out before coming in for the eye exam so that we have all the information we need before had and the best possible eye exam is carried out.
• We make any modifications to the eye exam which are most relevant to the patient. e.g. if the patient can’t read letters we have shapes and numbers
• After the eye exam, we give the patient/carer a feedback form detailing all the results of the eye exam. This makes it easier for the patient, carer, GP or any other relevant person to have all the information they need.
• We advice and specialised fit any spectacles if they are required.
• We also understand that a PX with a learning disability may need more time and we make as much allowance as possible for this
If you feel you or someone you know would benefit from a specialised eye exam for someone with learning difficulties, please do not hesitate to contact our reception staff.